Monday, March 15, 2010

Brew Dog MA!




Okay, so when this beer was brought to my attention a multitude of things came to mind. First, it's a Honey beer not my "fave" profile, but it is Brew Dog so I stuck with it. Second, it's brewed with Kola Nut... What the hell is a Kola Nut? All I can remember is that Jamaican guy, Geoffrey Holder, in those 7-Up commercials touting the merits of the "UNNNN-Cola Nut". BTW did you know that those commercials ran for over 10 years from the 70's into the 80's? Third, was the "Guarana", a key ingredient in most energy drinks, which I gave up on about 2 years ago for fear going into major cardiac arrest as a result of ingesting up to 48 ounces of said drink every day. Not so good, But I pressed on. Lastly, "Poppy Seed", ain't that the stuff that's often confused for "Mary Jane" on your random drug test? Not so good either. But it is beer and that's what we do here at "Beerattitude" so on we go. Brew Dog's "Dogma" is a honey beer brewed with all the fore-mentioned ingredients. At 7.8% ABV, this beer pours a rich golden amber color, with a thin head. The aroma is spiced, slightly sweet with the alcohol disguised by a malty secondary nose and a hint of fruit character. Three primary things hit your palate upon first tasting, the honey, the spice then the alcohol. It also lost any discernible fruit flavor as well. There is a lingering bitterness as a result of the spice and alcohol. This is not the same bitterness you would find in an IPA, or a beer that uses a traditional bittering hop. It is much more rounded and dissipates quickly and does not adversely effect the taste. If you have not figured out by now, this beer is "complex" and I believe this was what these Scottish Bloke's were shooting for. Only available in the 600 ml bottle, I would say this beer gets better as it warms up. And for all I thought I would not like about this beer, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really do like this beer. So Cheers! to the boys a Brew Dog for continuing to be innovative and pushing the boundaries of modern brewing. If you can find it, try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment